Raise your hand if you still need to get your awesome mama a gift for mother’s day. Ok, technically my hand is not raised because I know what I’m getting my awesome mama, it’s just that in true slacker fashion, I have yet to place the order. So SORRY mom that your gift will be late but believe me, it will be worth it!
If you don’t know what you are getting for your mom, grandma, favorite aunt, babysitter, etc….let me give you a super easy, wonderfully indulgent idea – homemade body scrub! Sadly, my mama lives far away so she will not be receiving this because I’m afraid it would not travel well across the country. BUT, I will stock my guest bathroom with lots of yummy flavors for when she visits.
This is truly one of the easiest projects I’ve done. I had a friend, a fellow Madison Mama, over for craft night (aka PSG – Pinterest Support Group) last month and after talking for a few hours, we whipped up three different types of body scrub each in under 30 minutes. With a cute jar, some decorative ribbon or jute and a little wooden spoon, you have a perfect gift. The wonderful thing about body scrubs is that you can toss together whatever ingredients you have on hand and customize it with any oil and you are set.
My absolute favorite scrub of the three we made was the mint chocolate scrub. I’m not lying when I tell you it’s like taking a shower with a thin mint cookie. I have to remind myself that its made with salt and will not taste as good as it smells! Without further ado, here is the recipe. Remember, scrubs are so easy to customize so if this doesn’t sound yummy, feel free to swap out the ingredients and try something else.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1-2 T cocoa butter
- ¼ cup cold pressed oil (I used olive oil but would recommend grapeseed oil)
- ¾ cup granulated or turbinado sugar
- ¼ cup epsom salt (can also use kosher or sea salt)
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- A couple drops of peppermint essential oil
- Place the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a small saucepan over low heat and heat until melted.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. While still warm, stir in cold pressed oil.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt and cocoa powder.
- When oil has cooled to room temperature, add to the sugar/salt mixutre and mix well. Add more oil and/or sugar/salt to reach the desired consistency. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil and stir well.
Here are links to the two other scrubs that we made. I’ve really enjoyed both of them.
Have you tried homemade body scrubs? I’d love to hear what’s worked well for you!
Happy Mother’s Day to all of you amazing moms out there! I hope your day is filled with lots of love, hugs and kisses, a miraculously clean house and maybe breakfast in bed.